My research interests centre on networked systems, particularly in the context of security and measurement. Currently, I am working on the design, scalability and applications of blockchains with George Danezis and Sarah Meiklejohn as part of the EU DECODE and EPSRC Glass Houses projects. I am a member of IC3 (Initiative for cryptocurrency and Contract) and The UCL Centre for Blockchain Technologies (CBT). I also work on measurement and characterization of various forms of information control such as censorship, discrimination and misinformation.
I received my Ph.D. degree (Characterization of Internet Censorship from Multiple Perspectives) from the University of Cambridge in 2017 under the supervision of Jon Crowcroft (and co-supervised by Steven Murdoch, Vern Paxson, and Ross Anderson) where I was an Honorary Cambridge Trust Scholar, and was awarded the Mary Bradburn Scholarship by the British Federation of Women Graduates for my research work. I maintain ties with ICSI (UC Berkeley), where I interned in 2012 and 2013, and made research contributions to NSF projects on developing empirical basis for censorship and socio-economic perspectives on Internet security. Previously I worked on Intrusion Detection Systems (Bro), and wrote an open-source software for botnet detection (BotFlex). I received my Master's degree in Computer and Communication Security from National University of Science and Technology, Pakistan in 2013 for which I was awarded the President's Gold Medal.
- Our paper "Scanning the Internet for Liveness" has been accepted to SIGCOMM CCR 2018.
- I'll serve in the PC of ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS) 2018.
- The preprint of our new paper "Coconut: Threshold Issuance Selective Disclosure Credentials with Applications to Distributed Ledgers" is now up!.
- Our paper "Illuminating the Ecosystem of Partisan Websites" has been accepted to WWW 2018.
- I'll serve in the PC of Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS) 2019.
- This week our scalable smart contracts blockchain platform, Chainspace and SoK study on blockchain consensus have been featured in The Morning Paper.
- I'll serve in the PC of the Symposium on Electronic Crime Research (eCrime) 2018.
- Our article The Road to Scalable Blockchain Designs appeared in USENIX ;login Magazine.
- The preprint of our SoK on blockchain consensus protocols is now up! Here's the blog post.
- Excited to co-chair IEEE Security & Privacy on the Blockchain (IEEE S&B) 2018!
- Chainspace, A Sharded Smart Contracts Platform has been accepted to NDSS 2018.
- I'll serve in the PC of IEEE workshop on Blockchain Technologies and Applications (BTA) 2018.
- The preprint of Chainspace, our sharded, smart contracts platform is now up! Here's the blog post.
- I'll serve in the PC of The Web Conference (WWW) 2018.
- I'll serve in the PC of Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS) 2018.
- Mustafa Al-Bassam, Alberto Sonnino, Shehar Bano, Dave Hrycyszyn and George Danezis. Chainspace: A Sharded Smart Contracts Platform. To appear in the proceedings of the 25th Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2018.
- Sheharbano Khattak, Tariq Elahi, Laurent Simon, Colleen Swanson, Steven J. Murdoch and Ian Goldberg. SoK: Making Sense of Censorship Resistance Systems. Proceedings on Privacy Enhancing Technologies, Vol. 2016, No. 4 (PETS), 2016.
- Sheharbano Khattak, David Fifield, Sadia Afroz,Mobin Javed, Srikanth Sundaresan, Vern Paxson, Steven J. Murdoch, and Damon McCoy. Do You See What I See? Differential Treatment of Anonymous Users. Proceedings of the 23rd Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2016.
- Sheharbano Khattak, Mobin Javed, Syed Ali Khayam, Zartash Afzal Uzmi and Vern Paxson. A Look at the Consequences of Internet Censorship Through an ISP Lens. Proceedings of the 14th ACM SIGCOMM conference on Internet measurement (IMC), 2014. Best Paper Nomination.
TalksThe complete list is here.
- My name is pronounced as Shahrbānū (شهربانو) (Meaning: "Lady of the Land", or "The Princess"). This name has appeared in various historic and folklorish contexts, and there are many songs (e.g., this, this, and this) named after me! :)
- I can speak English, Pashto (three dialects), Urdu (Native or Bilingual Proficiency), Punjabi (Limited Working Proficiency), Arabic and Persian (Elementary Proficiency).
- In my free time, I like to read about psychology philosophy and literature, and watching movies and long walks with my son. I enjoy running and good music.